Australian Education for Sustainability Alliance
The Australian Association for Environmental Education (AAEE) entered into an Alliance with nine other organisations to advocate for support of Education for Sustainability in four key areas.
- The Australian Curriculum
- Australian Sustainable Schools Initiative
- Tertiary Education
- Professional development in the green skills sector
Key policy areas
The challenge is that Australia currently lacks the vision and leadership to provide high quality and integrated education for sustainability through formal education and lifelong learning. AESA has identified four key policy areas to improve education for sustainability in Australia:
About the Alliance
The Australian Education for Sustainability Alliance is comprised of organisations from the education, union, youth and environment sectors that together represent over 700,000 Australians that want a higher prioritisation of sustainability in the education system. We are achieving this by advocating for best practice education for sustainability policy to fulfill our vision of a sustainable Australia.
- Australian Association of Environmental Education
- Australian Campuses Towards Sustainability
- Australian Conservation Foundation
- Australian Council of State School Organisations
- Australian Education Union
- Australian Youth Climate Coalition
- Catholic Earthcare Australia
- Environment Institute Australia and New Zealand
- Independent Education Union
- National Tertiary Education Union
- National Union of Students
This AESA project has published a report of outputs from Stage one and two of the project.
Read the Education for Sustainability and the Australian Curriculum Project report.
Read about the Sustainability in Schools resources portal that came out of this project.
To achieve a more sustainable Australia by ensuring that all Australians have the opportunity to receive effective education that instils knowledge, practices and values of sustainability, through the formal education system and through ongoing information and training throughout life.
The Australian Education for Sustainability Alliance is comprised of organisations from the education, union, youth and environment sectors that want a higher prioritisation of sustainability in the education system. We are achieving this by advocating and lobbying for best practice education for sustainability policy to fulfil our vision of a sustainable Australia.
ACF on behalf of the Australian Education for Sustainability Alliance (AESA) is managing a DEEWR funded project over the next 18 months to engage with a wide variety of mainstream teachers and educators, as well as with decision makers in government, to recommend ways to:
- improve the accessibility of high quality classroom ready resources;
- support the alignment of EfS learning tools and programs with the Australian Curriculum; and
- provide better training and support services for teachers and educators programs to enable efficient delivery of sustainability learning outcomes across the Australian Curriculum.
Visit the Australian Education for Sustainability Alliance website or contact the President at email@example.com.